Why I use WinSCP
- As a FTP client, manage files & folder for my website.
- As a FTP client, set permission for files & folder.
- As a FTP client, edit files in my website. Eg. edit PHP files directly from remote site (without copy file to local computer).
- Login to router, manage files & folders in router.
- Login to router, edit files in router directly without download to local computer.
Why I use PuTTY
- SSH to router to perform series of command, for example:
- Display router status.
- Install software to router.
- Configure router.
- Manage files & folders, but I always use WinSCP.
Download and Configure WinSCP
- Download Portable WinSCP
- Download Portable PuTTy
- Install Portable WinSCP to C:\Portable
- Install Portable Putty to C:\Portable
Now you have portable WinSCP and portable PuTTy saved in C:\Portable as shown in figure below.
- Run WinSCP
- Click on Preferences section
- Click on Preferences button
- Click on Applications section
- Enter PuTTY.exe program file name including program path in the box of PuTTY path as show in figure below.
After integrate PuTTY into WinSCP, press Ctrl+P or click on the Open session in Putty icon from WinSCP to start PuTTY. WinSCP will manage all the sessions, you don't have to key in username & password again. However when start PuTTY from WinSCP to manage the router, I still have to key in the password.