This is the schematic diagram which I downloaded from China website. Click here to download the high resolution PDF file.
If you need a Dot Matrix Display Panel, you can purchase from Freetronics, as shown in figure below is the PCB designed by Freetronics.
I'm currently using this Dot Matrix Display Panel.
This is a DIY Arduino with minimum configuration, it relies on the internal 8MHz oscillator and only 3 external components is used in the circuit. Please read here on how to upload sketch to this DIY Arduino.
IDC connector and cable
The Freetronics DMD library must work together with TimerOne library, the TimerOne library is available here.
Install TimerOne library
- Download the TimerOne library, it should be TimerOne-r11.zip
- Create a TimerOne folder in the Arduino libraries folder, for my case, it is on \My Documents\Arduino\libraries\
- Extract all the files & folders from TimerOne-r11.zip to the TimerOne folder.
Install Freetronics DMD library
- Download the Freetronics DMD library, it should be DMD-master.ZIP
- Extract it to the Arduino libraries folder, eg. \My Documents\Arduino\libraries\
- Rename the folder from DMD-master to DMD
Once libraries installation completed, upload the DMD demo sketch to the DIY Arduino
- Open Arduino IDE
- Select File>Examples>DMD>dmd_demo
- You must use Arduino as ISP or other programmer to upload sketch to this DIY Arduino.
There are more information on how to use the DMD library on the Freetronics website.